Trauma Risk Management training, or TRiM, was developed in the 1990s for the UK military and has since been adapted for other sectors. The application of TRiM to online harassment aims to create a large group within the newsroom who can provide effective peer-to-peer support in the event of online abuse.
The use of TRiM, which is already implemented by newsrooms such as the BBC in the case of field deployments, is intended to enable newsroom staff to do the following:
• Support and advise colleagues before the publication of content that has the potential to generate online abuse and harassment
• Support and advise journalists targeted with online abuse
• Assess when to seek professional help (1:1 TRiM assessment)
• Understand trauma psychology
• Support risk assessments related to online abuse