Session 1 | Building an effective protocol: initial steps
In this first session participants will audit the impact of online harassment among the staff in their newsroom, and understand the strengths and weaknesses of the measures that they currently have in place:
In order to design an effective protocol, you will need to:
- Discover what your journalists are experiencing online
- Identify the steps your organization has taken so far to counter this problem, and the people who are involved in this
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your current approach.
To do this, you will need to do the following tasks:
- Survey your staff and regular freelancers
- Have follow-up conversations to explore the issues raised by the survey
- Audit your existing response.
Worksheet: Who Does What?
Preventing and managing the impact of online harassment requires the cooperation of various actors within the newsroom
Worksheet: Mapping Your Newsroom
Mapping your newsroom’s response to online abuse and harassment – as it is now
Staff Survey: Template
This survey aims at understanding the scope of online abuse in your newsrooms and whether the current measures are efficient.
Protocol for newsrooms to support journalists targeted with online harassment
Preventing and managing the impact of online harassment requires the cooperation of various actors within the newsroom. Everyone has a part to play.